Council meetings were held in the Guildhall until November 1967. The administrative offices were in the Town Hall, which is today known as the Market Cross.
Council met in the Banqueting Room

Bury St Edmunds Borough Council
A monthly meeting in the Guildhall
Late 1946


Page 1 of 3

Click images to enlarge

The Mayor, Alderman E J Sewell and Sword Bearer Mr R D Dorling
Robing the Mayor before the meeting. Mr Dorling had 21 years service with the corporation following 21 years in the Royal Dragoons.

The Mayor, Alderman E J Sewell, Deputy Mayor, Alderman S J M Sampson, Town Clerk, MR P E Roberton
Pre- meeting discussion of the agenda and the 75 foolscap pages of accompanying committee minutes and recommendations.

The Mayor opens the meeting and calls for shorter speeches as there are 75 pages of committee minutes to consider and approve

Alderman R A C Olle, Chairman of the Watch Committee asserts that shopkeepers had an ancient right to set up a stall in the Market place. The Town Clerk believed that the Council had over riding authority over the issue. Alderman W T Porter, JP, sitting adjacent.

Cllr M S Chase speaking in support of the committee proposal to stop shops in the market place from having automatic right to set up a stall outside their frontage.

Cllr E W Steward, JP, Alderman G H Pemberton, (Chairman of Highways Committee), Alderman F T Bright, (Chairman of Finance Committee)
Voting on an amendment to refer back the recommendation that shops in the Market Place lose their privilege of a stall on their frontage on market days. The amendment was defeated by 11 to 10.

1  2  3 
[ Prev ]      [ Next ]
The next page includes more pictures

Go to Picture Story Homepage Go to Chronicle 1946 Updated 28 May 2006 Go to Main Home Page