Pre-Conquest Anglo-Saxon Charters
Thurketyl's Land Grant of 1040

Showing the latin or Old English text, its sources, and a summary of its authenticity according to several authors.
The reference number S 1225 refers to P. H. Sawyer's catalogue of Anglo-Saxon charters dated 1968.

S 1225

c. A.D. 1040. Thurketel to Bury St Edmunds; grant of land at Culford, Wordwell and Ixworth, Suffolk. English.

Archive: Bury St Edmunds

MSS: 1. BL Cotton Aug. ii. 84 (s. xi; BM Facs., iv. 44)
2. Cambridge, U.L., Ff. 2. 33, 50r (s. xiii2)
3. BL Add. 14847, 19v (s. xiv; abbreviated)
4. BL Add. 42055, 1r (s. xv)
5. Bodleian, James 24, p. 72 (s. xvii; ex 1)

Printed: K 961 ex MS 1; Mon. Angl. (rev. edn), iii. 132 (no. 5) ex MS 1; Sweet, Second Reader, p. 227 (no. 37), in part; B 1018 ex MS 1; B 1019 ex MS 3; Robertson, Charters, no. 93 (p. 178), with translation, p. 179.

Comments: Bond 1878, p. 7, MS 1 is contemporary; Robertson, Charters, p. 426; Hart, ECEE, no. 93, original; Pelteret 1995, p. 167.

Þis sendan þa land þe Þurkytel gean Gode 7 sancte Marian 7 sancte Eadmunde þæt is þæt land æt Culeforde þæt his agen wæs swa hit stænt mid mete 7 mid mannum 7 mid sake 7 mid socne 7 eal þæt land æt Wridewellan . 7 þæt land æt Gyxeweorðe swa hit stent mid mete 7 mid mannum.

These are the estates which Thurketel grants to God and St Mary and St Edmund, namely the estate at Culford, which was his own, as it stands with its produce and its men and with rights of jurisdiction, and the whole of the estate at Wordwell, and the estate at Ixworth as it stands with its produce and its men.

Go to Charters Homepage Go to Chronicle for 1040 Updated 15th October 2007 Go to Main Home Page